Creamy Spinach (Malai Palak)
Cooking time (approx.): 20 minutes
2 tablespoon(s) ghee (clarified butter) / butter
4 dry red chillies
1 tablespoon(s) finely chopped ginger
2 green chillies slit
600 grams (about 24 oz.) tender spinach washed and finely chopped
1 teaspoon(s) sugar
salt to taste
2 tablespoon(s) cream
finely chopped fresh coriander to garnish (optional)
1. Heat the clarified butter in a heavy-based pan.
2. Add the whole dry red chillies and fry till they darken.
3. Add the ginger and fry till it is light brown.
4. Add the green chillies and fry briefly.
5. Add the chopped spinach, sugar, salt and mix well on high heat.
6. Cook without covering on medium-high heat stirring frequently for about 20 minutes or till the spinach is cooked and dry. Mix in the cream.
7. Garnish with chopped fresh coriander (optional).
Deep fried cottage cheese or tofu cubes can be added to the spinach just before all the water has dried up. Cover and keep warm so that the cottage cheese or tofu cubes are soft. Mix in the cream just before serving.
Source : Syvum